Friday, October 31, 2008

These fush end chups ahh tasty es!

One thing that I have noticed in the time I have been here is that New Zealanders are very proud of the Kiwi culture (New Zealanders are known as Kiwis). It is a culture of tolerance, and a very friendly culture. They are a bit European, but with a dash of several other cultures. Although they are a small nation, they are indeed proud of their homeland, and a culture that is all their own.

One thing they are very proud of is their Kiwi accent. Until I came to New Zealand, I thought that Aussie and Kiwi accents were the same. And although they are similar, they are very different. Kiwis often give a "u" sound, where there is an "i". So, fish and chips, when spoken sounds like "fush and chups." I have noticed that vowels are the main difference. They are pronounced much shorter, and often sound like other vowels. For example, "best" would be pronounced "bist". It takes some getting used to, the first time I heard a kiwi talking about the local beaches... I wasn't too sure what to think. I'll let that soak in for a minute.... Ok.

I am finally able to understand most of what is said to me. The first couple of days I had to ask people to repeat themselves several times. If you are interested, I found a video that talks about the kiwi accent. Check it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ePwKYJcEOo&feature=related

I drove without Skylar yesterday, that was fun. More than anything, when he rode with me he was my navigator. The streets here are very confusing, no straight lines, lots of roundabouts, things are crazy. I needed to go downtown, and didn't know how to get there. The sky tower is taller than anything by far around here, it can be seen from everywhere, so I just followed it into downtown. When I was done, by some miracle, I found my way back to the house after a few stops.

I got a mobile yesterday. The number is 64 021 0227 9014. A really cool thing about mobiles in NZ, if someone calls you they assume all the charges, it is free for you. Same with text messages. That system really makes more sense to me anyway. So that means, if you would like to call me, I would love for you to assume all the charges... I mean, I would love to hear from you. I can make international texts pretty cheaply, so if you can as well, text-ing is a good way to communicate; of course along with email, and blog.

Found some good leads yesterday, as far as what I'm going to be jumping into next. I am looking at WOOFING, that is an acronym for Willing Workers on Organic Farms. Lots of backpackers do this, at least for a while while in NZ. Essentially you trade labor for accommodations (food and lodging); and while there, you have time to travel the area and see the sights. It's a great way to see the sights on a budget.

I am looking in the Northland right now, which if you are looking at a NZ map, is the relatively small area north of Auckland. There is a great deal to see and do up there, lots of hiking, beaches, and beautiful territory with waterfalls etc.; I've been told it's a beautiful area. I am also finding a lot of opportunities in renewable energy up there, so that is exciting. Who knows.

2 comments:

TeacherD said...

Morning - Belated Trick or Treat. We had Trunk or Treat where every parked in the grass in front of the Elementary, opened their trunks and threw out the candy. It was the best thing we've done in years. the kids had a blast and got LOTS of candy. There were a few games set up in the middle, classic Halloween/Fallfest stuff. Glad to get your number. I'll research the international texting and calling prices. We have a soccer game this morning (Sat 11/1). The organic farming sounds like a great idea. The driving sounds like patting your head while rubbing your tummy while standing on your head, but I'll master it in no time. I watched the NZ ace accent clips, very interesting - Thanks. Keep up the blog - you have a talent! Cloudy here, dripping and dreary - something must be coming. Temps are back up to more normal levels. Miss you - Have to go see the game!!! Love you - Mom

Mama Red said...

Hi, I can't seem to get on oovoo, my connect speed may be too slow. Oh well, someday we will all have instant internet. I hope you are enjoying everything. It is cool to see how things are different and much the same when you travel. I spent yesterday at u of h in Houston with Rae, (she had an audition there) While waiting I met lots of interesting people from all over.

We bought another bike and sold Gordon's. The new bike is an older 250 night hawk, with off road tires. good for the dirt road. Gordon sold his bike to Byron and now he has to find him another bike. He likes to shop. We can look up North and then fly up and drive one home.

Not much else going on here. Work on that Kiwi accent. I can't wait to hear it. Cindy