Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Sweet as bro!

Yesterday was a long day. After my post I walked around the city some. Auckland is a very modern, VERY clean city. Down pretty much any street there as an assortment of any type of shop you could ever want. Most of them just open directly to the sidewalks, no doors, and there are always lots of people walking.

I went to the Sky Tower, which is a bit like the space needle in Seattle. It is the tallest building in the southern hemisphere. The view of the city and harbor was amazing. It gave me some idea of the things I want to do in the time I spend in Auckland. If you want to see the sky tower, just Google an image of Auckand, you can't miss it. Downtown essentially is on the harbor, so the Sky Tower is right there.

I finally got what I had been wanting for all day yesterday when I went to bed. I don't think I have ever slept quite that well.

This morning was orientation with BUNAC, the organization that I am here under. It went well, and afterward I went and did all the boring stuff, like setting up a bank account, applying for an IRD (a NZ tax ID number). Next step is getting a mobile.

I just met a guy in the hostel who is from Dallas, that's about he closest I have found. There are actually very few Americans at the hostel. There are, however, a lot of Europeans, especially from England, Ireland, and Scotland.

The title of this post "sweet as bro," is a phrase used by New Zealanders. It means "its all good." Often they will just say "sweet as." They also use "as"on the end of their sentences very often. Such as "I'm full as," or "I'm mad as." Throws you off at first, because you're waiting for the rest of the sentence. My stay thus far has been sweet as... (gotcha!)

Today I will be meeting up with the Ely's and getting settled for the next little while.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Hugh!
Glad you are doing good. I'm glad you got to come visit before you left. We're going to miss you but know you will have a wonderful time.
Love ya!
Terri