Sunday, January 11, 2009

Windy Welli

This morning we left the Tongariro National park, and headed for Wellington. We had a few stops along the way, it was a good drive.

We arrived in Wellington, and got checked into our hostel, and I went out. I only have one night here, and really had a lot that I wanted to see. I visited Te Papa, the national museum of New Zealand, and walked down and saw the capitol grounds. At that point I was a bit lost, so I called a friend from here that I met earlier on my tour (we were on the same bus for a while). She came and found me and we hopped on the cable car downtown. The cable car was cool, not just because I have never ridden one, but because you can get on it downtown and it will pull you up the hill and in 5 minutes time you can be walking in the botanical gardens, which are amazing. We went and watched a band warming up in the park, but had to leave before they actually played because I needed to get back. We walked around the city a bit more, she showed me all of the essentials that one must see in Wellington, and now I'm back at the hostel. It really is a very cool city.I had an awesome time, although I am still extremely sore from the Tongariro crossing, so I sort-of waddled throughout the city.

Wellington is a very windy city. That tid bit one doesn't fit anywhere else, and isn't enough information to earn a "Hugh's trivia fact of the day" title. So there it is.

For those of you interested in the Lord of the Rings update, there were many scenes throughout the movies filmed here in Wellington and surrounding areas. Many of the city parks were utilized, as well as the side of Mt. Victoria that overlooks the city. I am also staying directly across the street from the theater where the trilogy saw its world premiere. I may see about going over and catching a move later this evening.

No comments: